depple

The Fallen of World War One

So a lot of people ask me why, when I go warden, most of my trivia days focus solely on WW1... This post will explain why.

On November 11th, 2018 at exactly 11:00 AM, one of the worst wars in the history of mankind ended 100 years ago, when the Central Powers finally surrendered after 4 long, bloody years. I'm speaking of course, about the First World War. Seeing as the majority of the members in this community are from the United States, I figure that not many of you know just how significant this war truly was... As well as how deadly it was. For this post, I will be listing off the total number of people killed in this war, by each respectable nation. Please note, that for the British Empire, I will include the total number of deaths as a whole empire, as well as independent statistics for some of those colonies that are now independent.

Each "|" represents not 1, not 100, not 1000, but 10,000 people who died in the First World War. This list will be ordered from least deaths to most deaths.

Starting with the Entente Powers/Allies of the Entente:

Portugal: |||||||| /

Total: 89,235 dead.

U.S.A : ||||||||||| / 

Total: 117,446 dead.

(Yes. In less than a year of fighting, the United States suffered this many dead. Let that sink in for a moment.)

Greece: ||||||||||||||||| / 

Total: 176,000 dead.

Romania: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 665,706 dead.

Britain: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

| /

Total: 1,011,687 dead.

Australia/New Zealand: |||||||| /

Total:  80,209 dead.

India: ||||||| /

Total: 73,905 dead.

Canada: |||||| /

Total: 66,996 dead.

British Empire: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

(Whole)         |||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 1,224,093 dead.

Italy: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 1,243,300 dead.

Serbia: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 1,263,325 dead.

France: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 1,737,800 dead.

Russia: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| / 

Total: 3,394,369 dead.

Entente: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||| /

Total: 10,080,391 dead.

Now, for the Central Powers/Allies of Central Powers:

Bulgaria: |||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 187,500 dead.

Austria-Hungary: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||| /

Total: 2,081,200 dead.

Germany:  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 2,800,720 dead.

Ottoman Empire: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 3,271,844 dead.

Central Powers:  ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Total: 8,341,264 dead.

GRAND TOTAL: 

||||||||||||||||| /

Total: 19,174,335 dead.

Now, those of you might be wondering... Why bother posting this?  The simple answer is, many Americans just don't know about this war. How many big Hollywood blockbuster World War II films are there? Well, you got Hacksaw Ridge, Fury, Unbroken, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Patton, Enemy At the Gates... just to name a few. All good movies, don't get me wrong... But how many big Hollywood blockbuster World War I films are there?

That's right: None. Zero.

Though this war is ultimately what led up to World War II, it seems nobody knows anything about it. This is the war that essentially brought an end to monarchies. This is the war where new war materials that are commonly known and used today were first used on a massive scale: Machine guns, tanks, airplanes, zeppelins, chlorine gas, flame throwers, howitzer artillery, bolt action-rifles, dreadnoughts, bombs, just to name a few. Most importantly, this is the war that made humanity as a whole realize just how traumatic wars truly are for not only those who fight them, but those who live through them.  It is also a result of this war that being clean shaven became a notable trend that people still follow to this day. 

Of course Dice finally released a game on WWI, namely Battlefield I, but that game does little justice for historical accuracy... I don't think I need to go into much detail considering one of the locked German classes in multiplayer is a black soldier on the Western Front... yeah. No. That didn't happen.  I also don't need to go into detail about how both France and the Russian Empire weren't even included during the launch, when they were literally the first ones to enter the war.

This is why I do WW1 trivia days on Jailbreak... I want to teach people, specifically Americans, about this conflict. People need to know about the sacrifices these men made so as to try and keep the peace. Obviously that didn't happen, but we still need to remember these people.

okay i'm done, have fun.

Edited by depple

Awards